Thursday, April 7, 2022

Beth Morrey

Beth Morrey‘s work has been published in the Cambridge and Oxford May Anthologies and shortlisted for the Grazia Orange First Chapter competition. She lives in London with her family and Polly the dog.

Morrey's debut novel is The Love Story of Missy Carmichael.

Her new novel is Delphine Jones Takes a Chance.

Recently I asked Morrey about what she is reading. Her reply:
One of my New Year’s resolutions was to keep a record of my reading. Too many times, someone has asked me what I’ve read recently and my mind has been a total blank – I can’t think of a single book I’ve read, ever. So I’m writing it down for occasions like this. Referring to my list, I can see I’ve consumed eight books so far this year, and the one I would like to mention is Janice Hallett’s The Appeal. It’s an epistolatory crime novel that tells the story of an amateur dramatics group raising money for a sick child, with a murderer in their midst. It’s told in the form of e-mails, text messages, WhatsApp chats, crime reports, etc, and is completely gripping, highly original and slyly funny.

To prove I have my finger on the literary pulse, one to watch out for later this year is Clare Pooley’s Iona Iverson’s Rules for Commuting. I’ve just read an advance copy, and it’s just as funny, heart-warming and uplifting as her first novel, The Authenticity Project.

Looking further ahead, I’d love to know what Kiley Reid is writing next. I adored Such a Fun Age and expect her next book to be as coolly witty and insightful.
Visit Beth Morrey's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Beth Morrey & Polly.

Q&A with Beth Morrey.

The Page 69 Test: Delphine Jones Takes a Chance.

My Book, The Movie: Delphine Jones Takes a Chance.

--Marshal Zeringue