sold and most read Amazon Charts, as well as the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Washington Post bestseller lists. O’Neal is an avid traveler and passionate cook, and discovered the Oregon coast on a pandemic-era trip with her husband. She now lives on that rocky, moody coast in a quirky beach house and writes her books from a room overlooking the sea. She lives with her British husband, who has promised to never lose his accent, and their cats and dogs.
O’Neal's new novel is A Thousand Painted Hours.
Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. O’Neal's reply:
My agent and I both like a certain sort of quiet English novel, and when I was searching for things to bring with me on a trip to Japan recently, she recommendedVisit Barbara O'Neal's website.the 1931 novel A Fortnight By The Sea, by RC Sherriff. It is the story of a family who go to the seaside in England, day by day. It is ordinary and calming and so filled with English sensibilities of the period that I couldn't stop reading. My husband is English, and we once took his mother to Weston-super-Mare, a rather tattered seaside town, and as I read, that was what I pictured. I liked the acuity of the days in the novel, the various few points and shifting emotions--it's so human and contemporary even as it is also very much a product of a time that feels much simpler, though I couldn't help thinking they were only a few years away from the cataclysm of World War II.
My Book, The Movie: A Thousand Painted Hours.
The Page 69 Test: A Thousand Painted Hours.
--Marshal Zeringue

