Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gerry Bartlett

Gerry Bartlett is a former teacher and now writes full time. She also owns an antique business on the historic strand in Galveston, Texas.

The latest installment in her Glory St. Clair Real Vampires series, Real Vampires Have More to Love, is out now from Berkley.

Recently I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
My tastes in reading are very eclectic. Of course, since I write paranormal romance, I read a lot of what’s out there in that genre. Most of it is very dark and my stuff is comedy, but I do enjoy reading a well written dark paranormal. I’ve just discovered a series by Adrian Phoenix. The first book is A Rush of Wings. Phoenix creates an interesting world and a very complex, tortured hero. I think that’s what really draws me to a book, fascinating characters. Be prepared for some violence, but that’s a real trend in urban fantasy which is where this book is shelved. The action is fast paced and there is a conspiracy and mystery that kept me turning the pages and running out to buy book two. I really enjoy books in series and following a group of characters. Another series I love is J.R. Ward’s Brotherhood. It’s urban fantasy too, but with more of a romance. Very rough language, but such interesting world building. Like most series, the problem is that the authors don’t write fast enough.

I enjoy reading straight mysteries too and just finished one by a favorite author—John Sandford. His Rough Country is a Virgil Flowers novel and takes that detective to northern Minnesota to solve a crime. I love the way Sandford develops his characters and have read every one of his Lucas Davenport books as well as his Kidd novels. He’s a great storyteller and, if I want to know how to write male point of view, I know where to look for inspiration. Sandford always manages to surprise me and keeps me turning the pages. Too often these days I put books down and don’t finish them. That never happens with a John Sandford book.

My to-be-read pile is huge and I won’t list them all but they include the new Scarpetta novel and mysteries by Iris Johansen and Linda Howard. It’s fun to note that Johansen and Howard got their start writing romance. Love that!
Read an excerpt from Real Vampires Have More to Love and visit Gerry Bartlet's website and blog.

See--Coffee with a Canine: Gerry Bartlett & Jet.

The Page 69 Test: Real Vampires Have More to Love.

--Marshal Zeringue