Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lou Manfredo

Lou Manfredo, author of Rizzo's War, worked in the Brooklyn criminal justice system for twenty-five years. His short fiction has appeared in Best American Mystery Stories, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, and Brooklyn Noir.

His new novel is Rizzo's Fire.

A few weeks ago I asked Manfredo what he was reading. His reply:
For the last few years, I have avoided reading fiction for fear of external influences impacting my own works. The most recent book I’ve read was Mary Tudor by Anna Whitelock, preceded by a variety of historical works and biographies.

Currently, after a conversation with Otto Penzler at his Mysterious Bookshop, I am reading Arthur Conan Doyle: The Man Behind Sherlock Holmes by Andrew Norman. As those familiar with my Joe Rizzo series of novels may recall, each book begins with an appropriate quote from the Holmes character. I’ve also paraphrased Holmes’ quotes in various of my published short stories.

My interest in this current read is twofold: Curiosity about Doyle, of whom I know little, and a professional interest in the nature of the Doyle-Holmes relationship. My understanding is Doyle came to dislike Holmes intensely, and I am intrigued by that concept. I’ve recently been exploring my own relationship with Joe Rizzo. While writing the novels, I’ve watched Joe grow more and more independent of me. At times I’ve felt merely to be along for the ride.

Rizzo, it seems, has been telling me the stories. How odd.
Read more about Rizzo's Fire and Rizzo's War.

The Page 69 Test: Rizzo's War.

--Marshal Zeringue