Monday, March 19, 2012

Larry Sweazy

Larry D. Sweazy's first western, The Rattlesnake Season, a Josiah Wolfe, Texas Ranger novel, was released in 2009. Book #2 in the Josiah Wolfe series, The Scorpion Trail, followed in 2010. Book #3, The Badger's Revenge, was released on April, 2011, and Book #4, The Cougar's Prey, followed in October, 2011.

Sweazy's first mystery novel, The Devil's Bones, is now out from Five Star.

Recently I asked the author what he was reading.  His reply:
I just finished reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I have just recently finished judging a literary awards competition where I had to read a lot of books in the same genre in a short amount of time, so this book was a huge departure from my normal realm of reading, and that’s one of the reasons why I chose it. I typically don’t read YA books, but something about this one jumped out at me. Maybe it was the cover, or I saw a review somewhere, I can’t really remember. It just jumped out, and one day it showed up in my hands, and took me on a marvelous, much-needed, magical journey. This book is an adventure, a love story, a tragedy in three acts, and it bubbles over with imagination. A big, mega-huge imagination.

As a writer, one sometimes loses the ability to enjoy reading without trying to figure all of the hows, whats, and wheres. But this book did it for me. I surrendered to the narrative, to Karou and her sadness, her seeking, her curiosity, and her courage. I won’t give you a book report, recounting the plot point for point, but there’s magic, darkness, mystery, and writing that is poetic and beautiful. Daughter of Smoke and Bone was the tonic I needed to fall in love all over again with great imaginative fiction.
Visit Larry D. Sweazy's website and blog.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Larry D. Sweazy and Brodi and Sunny.

--Marshal Zeringue