Monday, June 30, 2014

Taylor Jenkins Reid

Taylor Jenkins Reid is from Acton, Massachusetts. She graduated from Emerson College in Boston in 2005. She worked in entertainment and education before becoming a writer.

Her debut, Forever, Interrupted, was called a "stunning first novel," by Publishers Weekly. Kirkus Reviews called her second book, After I Do, "a must read."

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Reid's reply:
The book that I have been raving to everyone about lately is Maggie Shipstead's Astonish Me. I always find that if you can't quite explain why you loved a book so much, it's a sign that it broke through your brain and got down into your heart -- which this book did for me. Shipstead is so young with two great books under her belt -- I'm hugely excited to see where her career goes next.

Beatriz Williams is another author that gets me right in the chest. A Hundred Summers was one of my favorite books last year. Between the New England summer location, the 1930's time period, and the wonderful love story, it kept me turning the pages, desperate to find out if I was right about Lily Dane and Nick Greenwald. I'm very excited to read The Secret Life of Violent Grant this summer.

Whenever I need to read a book that doesn't feel like effort, one where reading it is akin to spending time with your funniest friend, I pick up a book by Jen Lancaster. The Tao of Martha might take the cake for me. (Pun not intended but let's go with it.) Jen's attempts to emulate the lifestyle of Martha Stewart had me laughing out loud and embarrassed by how much I related.

And the pre-order I'm most eager to arrive is Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke's Your Perfect Life. They are the ladies behind the fantastic blog "Chick Lit is Not Dead" and this is their first novel together. A body-swapping comedy about best friends is a great set up so I am eager to see what they do with it! I have no doubt it will be a fun one.
Visit Taylor Jenkins Reid's website.

The Page 69 Test: Forever, Interrupted.

--Marshal Zeringue