Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Mary Elizabeth Summer

Mary Elizabeth Summer contributes to the delinquency of minors by writing books about unruly teenagers with criminal leanings. She has a BA in creative writing from Wells College, and her philosophy on life is “you can never go wrong with sriracha sauce.” She lives in Portland Oregon with her wife, their daughter, and their evil overlor—er, cat.

Summer's new novel is Trust Me, I'm Lying.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Being a debut author, I've been gorging myself on other 2014 debut-author books this year. The one I'm currently (re)reading is Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones. Similarly to Trust Me, I'm Lying, it features a girl con artist as the protagonist, but there the similarity ends. Illusive takes place in a near future world where a virus has decimated the population, and the vaccine that saved the remainder has left a small percentage of people with supernatural abilities, like levitation, telepathy, and invisibility. There's so much to love about this book, but what I love most is the expert way the author has woven the characters together in the type of tight bond that all the best heist movies have. It's action-packed and heart-wrenching and has kept me up way past my bedtime on several occasions.
Visit Mary Elizabeth Summer's website.

The Page 69 Test: Trust Me, I'm Lying.

--Marshal Zeringue