Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Stephanie Kate Strohm

Stephanie Kate Strohm is the author of Pilgrims Don’t Wear Pink and the Confederates Don't Wear Couture. Her new novel is The Taming of the Drew.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Strohm's reply:
Food Whore by Jessica Tom

My fiancé picked this up for me while we were browsing the shelves at the Book Cellar, our favorite neighborhood bookstore in Chicago. I think he might have picked it up as a joke because of the title, but I loved it. An intern becomes a ghostwriter for the most famous food critic in New York, and the descriptions of the meals are lushly epic – you can tell this was written by someone who loves food, just like me. Sort of like The Devil Wears Prada with Michelin stars. It’s foodie chick lit, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Abroad by Katie Crouch

Abroad is about a college girl studying abroad in Italy and the dark situation she finds herself in. I picked up this book because I have a bit of a morbid fascination with the Amanda Knox case, but Abroad has an eerie, magical feel to it that I wasn’t expecting. It’s very different than what I normally read, but I can’t stop reading it at night – even though I probably should, because I am extremely susceptible to nightmares, and this is a story that stays with me even after I’ve closed the book.

Cravings by Chrissy Teigen

Remember when I said I loved food? I wasn’t kidding. Maybe you interact with a cookbook more than you actually read it, but this is the book I’ve spent the most time with over the past couple weeks! The recipes are delicious and easy to follow, and Teigen shares jokes and funny stories in the introduction to each dish that make you feel like you’re cooking with a friend. I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve made her honey balsamic Brussels sprouts with bacon, walnuts, and cranberries.
Visit Stephanie Kate Strohm's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Taming of the Drew.

My Book, The Movie: The Taming of the Drew.

--Marshal Zeringue