Tuesday, February 28, 2017

William L. Myers Jr.

Bill Myers is a trial attorney. For the past thirty years, he’s tried cases in state and federal courts up and down the East Coast. When he was only 36, he had the rare honor of arguing before the United States Supreme Court. Myers lives outside of Philadelphia with his wife, Lisa.

His new novel is A Criminal Defense.

Recently I asked Myers about what he was reading. His reply:
I just finished reading Pagan Babies, by Elmore Leonard and am halfway through his novel Bandits. Leonard is one of my favorite authors, because of his dialogue. When I read his dialogue, I hear people talking, not an author writing. Some years back, I read that Leonard said when he wrote dialogue, he tried to make himself “invisible,” by which he meant that when his characters are talking, you’re hearing them, not him.

I also enjoy Leonard because many of his characters are gritty, low-life types. Nasty and often not too bright. It’s fun to watch their lives unravel as they scheme their way through the messes they make, into bigger messes.
Read more about A Criminal Defense.

The Page 69 Test: A Criminal Defense.

--Marshal Zeringue