Saturday, June 2, 2018

Emily Devenport

Emily Devenport has written several novels under various pseudonyms including one which was a finalist for the Philip K. Dick award. She currently studies Geology and works as a volunteer at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.

Devenport's new novel is Medusa Uploaded.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I love audio books. At one time I used to consider them the cheater's way of reading books (with more than a tad of arrogant dismissal in my tone). And you know what? Maybe they are the cheater's way – and that's fine with me. Because I have a full-time day job (I'm a buyer at the Heard Museum book store in Phoenix), a writing career, a household, and a (wreck of a) garden to maintain. At the end of the day, my eyeballs feel pretty fried.

A good audiobook is like one of the old radio shows. It's really more of a dramatization. Over the last few years, I've heard some of the best narrators reading books by my favorite authors. I love Michael Connelly, Stephen King, Patricia Cornwell, Robert McCammon, Elizabeth Peters, Craig Johnson, and many others. Some of my favorite narrators are Caitlin Davies, Kate Reading, Barbara Rosenblat, George Guidall, Craig Wasson, Edoardo Ballerini, Steven Crossley, Adam Grupper, Jeff Lindsay, and Susan Bennett. Currently I'm listening to the latest installment of Dean Koontz's Jane Hawk series. Soon I'll have the new Stephen King novel in my queue.

I listen to audiobooks while I'm driving, cleaning, cooking, and doing yard maintenance. It turns work into a treasured time when I get to hear a good story. Audiobooks are da bomb. Take it from a cheater (who still has fried eyeballs).
Visit Emily Devenport's blog.

The Page 69 Test: Medusa Uploaded.

--Marshal Zeringue