Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Lisa Jensen

Lisa Jensen is the author of the novels Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge, Alias Hook, and The Witch From the Sea, proprietress of the entertainment blog, Lisa Jensen Online Express, and longtime film critic for the alt weekly, Good Times, in Santa Cruz, CA.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Jensen's reply:
Right this minute, I'm in the thick of Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. It's the epic tales of Thor, Odin, Loki and the gang, streamlined to their essence, and retold in Gaiman's droll voice. He infuses each god and goddess with human foibles, and renders magical stories of gods, giants, and dwarves with life-sized precision. Great fun!

I also recently finished The Master of Verona, by David Blixt, which merges the historical realities of life in the Renaissance Italian city-states with what you might call the origin stories of some of Shakespeare's most famous plays in Italian settings. Since my next novel (the one after Beast) is set in the Italian Renaissance, and also has a Shakespearean element, I thought I could just skim through Blixt's book and pick up some period color. Ha! I got sucked into this wild ride with its non-stop action from beginning to end!
Visit Lisa Jensen's website.

--Marshal Zeringue