Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Karen Katchur

Karen Katchur is an award-winning suspense novelist with a bachelor of science in criminal justice and a master’s in education. She lives in eastern Pennsylvania with her husband and two children.

Her new novel is Cold Woods.

Recently I asked Katchur about what she was reading. Her reply:
I mostly read books in my genre (crime fiction), but I also read out of my genre, which can be anything from horror to historical fiction. I do read nonfiction books for research, including true crime. It’s another way to get my horror fix.

Recently, I had the pleasure of reading an advance copy of The Wolf Wants In by Laura McHugh, which was released on August 6th. The story takes an honest look into the opioid crisis in a small town in Kansas. It’s told from the point of view of two women, Sadie Keller and Henley Pettit. Sadie is determined to find out how her brother died. Overdoses are on the rise, and the local police aren’t interested in investigating his death, but she refuses to give up. Henley wants nothing more than to escape her small-town life and put as much distance as possible between herself and her family’s crimes. The storyline entwines as the two women grapple with the weight of family loyalty, secrets, and murderous acts.

This is the third novel by this author, and I’m a big fan. McHugh is true to form in keeping with her lyrical prose and atmospheric setting of small-town life in the Midwest. The characters are raw, gritty, and supremely heartwarming. A literary thriller at its best, and my favorite kind of read.
Visit Karen Katchur's website.

--Marshal Zeringue