Saturday, December 28, 2019

Amber Cowie

Amber Cowie is a graduate of the University of Victoria and was short-listed for the 2017 Whistler Book Award. She lives in the mountains in a small West Coast town. Cowie is a mother of two, wife of one, and a novelist who enjoys skiing, running, and creating stories that make her browser search history highly suspicious.

Her novels are Rapid Falls and the newly released Raven Lane.

Recently I asked Cowie about what she was reading. Her reply:
I am very late to the party, but I recently picked up the first book in the Outlander series from my sister’s book shelf. I was in the mood for romance after diving into two astonishing, poignant works on death: When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanthi and The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. Diana Gabaldon did not disappoint. I am excited to go to bed every night and absolutely thrilled that I have so many more books to go!

Here’s the thing. I’m not a typical romance reader. I like dark books. The closest I’ve come to a love for romance was when I devoured Flowers in the Attic and the associated works by V.C. Andrews and anyone who has read those knows that the romance within them is not exactly savory. Or, um, legal. But Gabaldon has me hooked on the sumptuous Scottish settings and the love story which borders on Highlands erotica.

It’s fitting, as my last book Raven Lane contained several racy sex scenes and a character that I found deeply, unsettlingly attractive. I suppose there’s something in the air around here right now. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go see a man about a kilt.
Visit Amber Cowie's website.

The Page 69 Test: Rapid Falls.

--Marshal Zeringue