Monday, February 24, 2020

Alyssa Palombo

Alyssa Palombo is a writer living and working in Buffalo, NY. She attended Canisius College in Buffalo, where she majored in English and creative writing with a minor in music. She is a classically trained mezzo-soprano who also dabbles in playing piano. When not writing, Palombo can usually be found reading, hanging out and laughing way too hard at nonsensical inside jokes with friends, traveling (or dreaming of her next travel destination), at a concert, or planning for next Halloween. She is a metalhead and a self-proclaimed French fry connoisseur. She also owns way too many hoodies, pairs of sunglasses, and pajamas, but never enough books.

Palombo's historical novels include The Violinist of Venice, The Most Beautiful Woman in Florence, and The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel.

Her new novel is The Borgia Confessions.

Recently I asked Palombo about what she was reading. Her reply:
What I’m Currently Reading:

More Than Maybe by Erin Hahn: I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this YA contemporary romance, coming in May 2020. The story is about two music-obsessed teens: Luke Greenly, son of a famous British rocker; and Vada Carsewell, an aspiring music journalist. They both have a crush on each other, with no idea that their crush is requited. I’m loving the snappy dialogue and, as a music-obsessed former teen myself, can relate a great deal to the characters.

The Winter Sister by Megan Collins: I just started this thriller, a mysterious retelling of the Persephone myth. I’m looking forward to getting more into it – I’ve been in the mood for a good thriller – and winter seems like the perfect time to read it!

What I’ve Read Recently:

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow: I highly recommend this immersive, vivid, and brilliantly imagined fantasy novel. As a writer and an avid reader, I adored this book where stories have meanings beyond what we could have imagined, and words have the power to open doors to other worlds. This novel also deftly deals with themes of race, belonging, family, and home.

Raphael: Painter in Rome by Stephanie Storey: I recently read an advance copy of this upcoming historical novel and absolutely loved it. It follows the life and career of Renaissance painter Raphael Santi, and chronicles his employment under Pope Julius II in Rome and his incessant rivalry with Michelangelo, at that time working on painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, a commission Raphael had coveted for himself. I loved the themes of beauty and of art as political that the novel interrogates so brilliantly. This one hasn’t left my mind since I finished reading it a few weeks back. Look for it when it releases on April 7th of this year!

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah: I’m a big fan of Trevor Noah’s, so I can’t believe it took me so long to read his memoir! I listened to the audiobook and found it by turns funny, fascinating, moving, and enraging. Noah describes the struggles he faced in growing up poor in South Africa – including endemic racism – with both humor and unflinching candor. A very engaging read that I definitely recommend!
Visit Alyssa Palombo's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Borgia Confessions.

--Marshal Zeringue