Friday, March 13, 2020

Phillip Margolin

Phillip Margolin has written over twenty novels, most of them New York Times bestsellers, including Gone But Not Forgotten, Lost Lake, and Violent Crimes. In addition to being a novelist, he was a long time criminal defense attorney with decades of trial experience, including a large number of capital cases.

Margolin's new novel is A Reasonable Doubt, his third book in the series featuring Robin Lockwood, ex-MMA fighter and Yale law school graduate.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Margolin's reply:
I just discovered the Dr. Siri Paiboun mysteries by Colin Cotterill. They are set in Communist Laos in the nineteen seventies and the detective is the seventy-year-old national coroner. I've read The Coroner's Lunch and Thirty-Three Teeth. The writing is brilliant, the mysteries are intriguing and the characters are unique, plus there are a lot of laughs.

I also re-read War and Peace, for the fourth time after a trip to Russia. This is one of my all-time favorites and it is still a fabulous read.

Finally, I am re-reading classic mysteries. The Dutch Shoe Mystery by Ellery Queen, my all-time favorite mystery writer, and It Walks by Night, by John Dickson Carr, the master of the Locked Room puzzle.
Visit Phillip Margolin's website and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue