American Library Association Reading List Council's Best Mystery of 2019. Under her real name, she has written more mystery novels and a damn good werewolf book, as well as short stories in many genres in magazines and anthologies. She is also an award-winning librettist and lyricist with several musicals to her credit that have been performed or workshopped across the USA. She currently lives in New York City where she also practiced as a criminal defense attorney.
Montclair's latest novel is Fire Must Burn.
Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Gordon's reply:
I had the honor and privilege of conducting the Guest of Honor interview at the recent Malice Domestic Conference with Jim Huang, who has been involved in just about every aspect of the mystery world as a publisher, reviewer, bookstore owner,Visit Alan Gordon's website.and conference organizer. I had used to prepare two of the compilations he had put together, drawing upon the collected knowledge of America's mystery bookstore owners, and am now actually going through them in their entirety.
100 Favorite Mysteries of the Century is a fantastically useful list of the classics, starting with Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles and finishing with Reginald Hill's On Beulah Height. Like all lists, it reminds me of how much I still need to read in my chosen genre. (I recently checked off Block's When the Sacred Ginmill Closes. Beautifully written and evocative of the time and place, troublesome in some of its attitudes.) They Died In Vain is a fun follow-up of mysteries that the booksellers consider unjustly overlooked, or have fallen by the wayside with the passage of time. Between them, I have my work cut out for me -- but that's what they're for.
The Page 69 Test: An Excellent Thing in a Woman.
Q&A with Allison Montclair.
My Book, The Movie: An Excellent Thing in a Woman.
The Page 69 Test: Fire Must Burn.
--Marshal Zeringue

