Sunday, March 4, 2007

Charles Deemer

Charles Deemer is a writer, a university screenwriting professor, and the editor of Oregon Literary Review.

I asked him what he's been reading. His reply:
It's that time of year when most of my reading time is devoted to student screenplays. However, last weekend I flew to L.A. to see the opera Mahagonny (a stellar production!) and began Robert Stone's Prime Green: Remembering the Sixties and am loving it. I returned to learn my mystery Dead Body In A Small Room is a ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year finalist; I opened it and started reading and happily can't set it down. It's amazing how much you forget even though you wrote the damn thing!

Since the subject is reading, let me say that this summer I am beginning a reading project I've been putting off for too long. I'm reading, back to back, Chapman's translation of the Iliad and Odyssey, followed by Kazantzakis' Sequel to the Odyssey. This ought to keep me busy for a while.

Visit the Oregon Literary Review and Deemer's blog The Writing Life II, and learn more about Seven Plays, a 2001 Oregon Book Award finalist, and Dead Body In A Small Room.

--Marshal Zeringue