Saturday, October 4, 2008

Dan Hooper

Dan Hooper is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of Chicago and an Associate Scientist in the Theoretical Astrophysics Group at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, where he investigates dark matter, supersymmetry, neutrinos, extra dimensions, and cosmic rays.

He is the author of Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy, a SEED magazine Notable Book, and the newly released Nature's Blueprint: Supersymmetry and the Search for a Unified Theory of Matter and Force.

Last month I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
If you look at the stack of books currently on my nightstand, you will find Bob Woodward's new book, The War Within and Unended Quest by the great philosopher of science, Karl Popper.

Along with these, which I am actually in the process of reading, I have a much larger stack of books that I would like to get to eventually. These include The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind and the novel Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire (I very much enjoyed his other book, Wicked).

Within the last month or so, I finished reading Bill Clinton's autobiography My Life and The Cold War: A New History by John Lewis Gaddis. I also read a book about the philosophy of Ayn Rand, but can't say that I found it very compelling.
Visit Dan Hooper's website and view his lecture on dark matter and dark energy for non-scientists.

--Marshal Zeringue