Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dana Haynes

Dana Haynes was, for more than twenty years, a journalist and editor at several newspapers in Oregon.

His new thriller, Crashers, was released by St. Martin’s Press on June 22.

He’s also written three mysteries under the pen name Conrad Haynes.

Haynes' first screenplay, an adaptation of Crashers, made it to the semifinals of the prestigious Nichols Fellowship in 2005.

A few days ago I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
Globish, by Robert McCrum. It’s a brilliant take on how English – rather than lingua franca or Latin or French – became the world language by the 20th century. But I’d be horrified if you saw me as some would-be intellectual. I’m also taking the time to re-introduce myself to Peter O’Donnell, who wrote the brilliant “Modesty Blaise” comic strip for about 40 years. Best thriller strip of all time. What an incredibly difficult and demanding medium! He had about 40 words and three images per day to keep your heart racing. Every time I go back to O’Donnell, I learn more.
Visit Dana Haynes' website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue