Thursday, July 7, 2011

David Hagberg

David Hagberg is a former Air Force cryptographer who has traveled extensively in Europe, the Arctic, and the Caribbean and has spoken at CIA functions. He has published more than twenty novels of suspense, including the bestselling Allah's Scorpion, Dance With the Dragon, and The Expediter.

His latest thriller is Abyss.

About three weeks ago I asked Hagberg what he was reading. His reply:
The problem with me and reading is that I do so damned much of it, usually a half-dozen books at a time, and my list is eclectic (translation: crazy). For instance, I really hated English and history—especially world history as a kid. So of course I turned out to be a writer of geo-political thrillers. Right now I’m re-reading John Fowles’ The Magus, the shear brilliance of the language and grammatical structure blowing me away.

And J.M. Roberts' really good History of the World from way before the caveman until the Cold War. And a couple of ARCs, including Ralph Peters’ Cain at Gettysburg.

And a couple of sci fi juveniles from the 50s by Andre Norton.

The common theme, of course, is that when I’m working on a book or books of my own I need to be engaged with the act of learning how good writers put together sentences and stories; the scope of history and what effect it has on my stories; and something for pure entertainment during which I can put my brain in a bucket beside the bed and just enjoy.
Visit David Hagberg's website.

--Marshal Zeringue