Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Meryl Gordon

Meryl Gordon is the author of The Phantom of Fifth Avenue, as well as the author of Mrs Astor Regrets: The Hidden Betrayals of A Family Beyond Approach. She is an award-winning journalist and a regular contributor to Vanity Fair.

Recently I asked Gordon about what she was reading. Her reply:
I am addicted to thrillers and newly published fiction -- I love to see how contemporary writers create suspense and hook you on their characters. I just finished reading Julie Glass' latest novel, And the Dark Sacred Night, which is a wonderful unraveling of family secrets and deals with how withholding information can damage multiple generations. I've read all of Ward Just's well-crafted novels, and have started on his new one, American Romantic, and he's got me time-traveling back to the 1960's and Vietnam.

For pure escapism, Chris Pavone's thriller The Accident, set in the world of publishing, provided a great dose of adrenaline with a twisty plot. I also lost sleep to Jean Hanff Korelitz' You Should Have Known" which starts off slow but builds to a rousing finish.

Finally, I have given all my friends Jane Gardam's Old Filth Trilogy -- wonderfully written, truly satisfying.
Visit Meryl Gordon's website.

See: Meryl Gordon's five best chronicles of high society.

The Page 99 Test: The Phantom of Fifth Avenue.

--Marshal Zeringue