Saturday, November 26, 2016

Zana Fraillon

Zana Fraillon was born in Melbourne Australia, but spent her early childhood in San Francisco. She has written two picture books for young children, a series for middle readers, and a fictitious book for older readers based on research and recounts of survivors of the Forgotten Generation. She lives in Melbourne, with her three sons, husband and two dogs.

Fraillon's new novel is The Bone Sparrow.

Not so long ago I asked the author about what she was reading. Fraillon's reply:
The most recent book I have read is Moose Baby by Meg Rosoff and published by Barrington Stoke. I really love the Barrington Stoke books – they are short, accessible reads, beautifully designed on thick paper and often with beautiful illustrations to accompany them. Moose Baby is about a teenage mother who gives birth to – you guessed it – a Moose. Apparently a fairly common occurrence. It is a story full of warmth and humour and completely quirky.

The other book I have read recently is The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan. This book, like Crossan’s Carnegie award winning book One, is written entirely in free verse. The wonderful thing about writing this way is that the rhythm of the words is very close to the natural rhythm of thought, so the reader is instantly inside the character’s head. This is one of those books in which the character’s voice sticks with the reader long after the book is finished. I only wish I’d thought of writing books like that…

And finally, I am about to start a book by one of my very favourite authors, Fredrik Backman. His most recent story is a novella, and I already know I will be devastated to finish it. It is called And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer And Longer. Backman’s books are always full of amazing characters expressed with real depth and love. They are always touching, and always full of gentle humour.
Follow Zana Fraillon on Twitter.

My Book, The Movie: The Bone Sparrow.

--Marshal Zeringue