Friday, February 10, 2017

Mur Lafferty

Mur Lafferty is a writer, podcast producer, gamer, runner, and geek. She is the host of the podcast I Should Be Writing and the co-host of Ditch Diggers. She is the winner of the 2013 John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer.

Lafferty's new novel is Six Wakes.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I usually juggle several books, since I'm reading one via audiobook in the car and something on my tablet and probably a physical book on my nightstand. Right now I'm reading two.

I'm listening to Hardcore Zen, which is supposedly a look into Zen Buddhism by Brad Warner, a monk who's also a punk rocker. I had high hopes, but the audio quality is terrible (he recorded it himself for a variety of reasons, he explains at the beginning). The first chapter is essentially "Here are the thousands of things Zen Buddhism is not." It's a little frustrating. But I'm going to keep going. Apparently frustration is a thing many people feel when starting to study Buddhism...

I'm also reading the electronic ARC of Sarah Gailey's novella, River of Teeth, which is a weird wild west story with hippos. And from what I've seen online, and from what I've read so far, once you say "hippos" everyone perks up and says, "Take my money now." I've read Sarah's short stories that show of her fearless style, and I know she could pull off a hippo story with ease. I totally plan on being not jealous of her weird fearlessness at all as I continue reading.
Visit Mur Lafferty's website.

--Marshal Zeringue