Saturday, April 15, 2017

Mindy McGinnis

Mindy McGinnis is an Edgar Award-winning author and assistant teen librarian who lives in Ohio. She graduated from Otterbein University with a degree in English Literature and Religion, and sees nothing wrong with owning nine cats. Two dogs balance things out nicely.

Her latest novel is Given to the Sea.

Recently I asked McGinnis about what she was reading. Her reply:
I read all over the place, genre-wise and age range. Here's a glimpse of what's on my nightstand at the moment.

I'm currently reading one of the great unread classic authors, who I'd never heard of though she was born and lived not ten miles from me -- something that is unheard of out where I live. Dawn Powell was an amazing author who could handle with equal grace the setting of a small town, or life in a big city. All her characters are flawed - some comically, some hatefully - but always the reader is turning the page. She was called "our best comic novelist" by Gore Vidal and Ernest Hemingway was a fan of hers. The American Library issued two collections of her novels, and I've recently finished the first, and immediately dove into the second.

On a more adventurous note, I'm reading Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray, a fantastic SciFi YA adventure where main characters with opposing viewpoints are trapped into working side by side. When Noemi's home planet of Genesis rebels against Earth, the blue planet sends mechs (robot soldiers) to attack. Noemi loses a good friend, and ditches her unit to try to find medical help on an abandoned Earth ship nearby. But a mech - abandoned for 30 years - has been waiting inside, and though he's loyal to his Earth-maker, his programming dictates that he obey the orders of a human... and Noemi is the first one he's seen in awhile. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Lastly, I'm a big fan of picture books and Big Cat, Little Cat by Elisha Cooper is killing me. Big Cat likes his solitary lifestyle, until Little Cat shows up. At first, he doesn't like the kitten in his life, then as the grow together, Big Cat learns to love his new companion. Until one day, Big Cat is gone. Little Cat is now the Big Cat, and he doesn't know what to think when a new kitten comes home...
Visit Mindy McGinnis's website.

The Page 69 Test: Not a Drop to Drink.

The Page 69 Test: In a Handful of Dust.

--Marshal Zeringue