Monday, July 31, 2017

Jardine Libaire

Jardine Libaire is a graduate of Skidmore College and the University of Michigan MFA program. White Fur is her second novel. She lives in Austin, Texas.

Recently I asked Libaire about what she was reading. Her reply:
I have a little stash of books I’m gleefully reading now. It’s summertime, and it’s too hot to do anything else! I just finished Eve Babitz’s Slow Days, Fast Company, which begins with a brilliant introduction by Matthew Specktor. Why oh why did it take me so long to find Eve? From the lavender jacaranda to the honest talk about love and sex, this book made me a newly minted fan of hers.

The two books of poems I just got and have been browsing through and adoring are: There Are More Beautiful Things Than Beyoncé by Morgan Parker, which is so fresh and true and razor-sharp and emotional; and A Dark Dreambox of Another Kind, The Poems of Alfred Starr Hamilton, which is a strange and mystical volume that feels like a set of prayers I can actually use.

On deck is Brian Van Reet’s novel Spoils, which I heard him discuss at the Austin indie BookPeople, and which has gotten powerful reviews. And Jacqueline Woodson’s Another Brooklyn, whose first few paragraphs have already mesmerized me.
Visit Jardine Libaire's website.

--Marshal Zeringue