Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Sarah Warburton

Sarah D. Warburton lives in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. For ten years she was the lead writer for the monthly magazine UpClose. She has studied writing with Pam Houston at the Taos Writers Workshop and with Justin Cronin in Houston. Her work has appeared in the Southern Arts Journal, Women on Writing, Embark Literary Magazine, and Oyster River Pages.

Warburton's first novel, Once Two Sisters, was a Publishers Weekly pick of the week, a Crimereads recommended debut, and a PopSugar featured title.

[My Book, The Movie: Once Two SistersQ&A with Sarah WarburtonThe Page 69 Test: Once Two Sisters]

Her new novel is You Can Never Tell.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Warburton's reply:
I always have a few books going at once. While I drink my morning coffee, I actually like to read culinary memoirs. Right now I’m rereading Buttermilk Graffiti: A Chef's Journey to Discover America's New Melting-Pot Cuisine by Edward Lee. Each chapter takes Lee to a different part of the United States known for a (sometimes unexpected) immigrant cuisine. The writing is beautiful and it’s a luxury to travel vicariously. Lee’s also generous with his own personal story, so that it’s easy to understand why people open up to him. And he includes recipes at the end of each chapter that put his own personal spin on the food he’s experienced.

As a member of five book clubs, I’m always either reading or supposed to be reading a book for one of them. I listened to Being Mortal by Atul Gawande on audio, but have bought that one to read again and pass on. It’s the most uplifting book on a dark subject: how we’ve medicalized the experience of aging and what we do with the elderly. Gawande uses the personal stories of individual people to create the same kind of empathy novelists hope to inspire through their characters.

I’m almost done with One by One by Ruth Ware. This one is sheer fun for anyone who loves a locked room, Agatha Christie-style mystery. From the first page, we know four people won’t make it and as the avalanche comes and the power goes out, the tension builds. I’d actually been saving this one as a treat, and it’s delivering!

And while I’m saving Dream Girl as my next treat, I am reading Laura Lippman’s book of essays, My Life as a Villainess. Love her Tess Monaghan novels, love her stand-alones, love her Twitter feed, and I love these essays. Despite the difference between fiction and narrative nonfiction, I think there’s a recognizable voice throughout. Good reminder that you don't have to be nice and you don't have to be thin to like how you look. Smart, sometimes snarky, and so relatable.
Visit Sarah Warburton's website.

Q&A with Sarah Warburton.

--Marshal Zeringue