Saturday, October 23, 2021

David R. Slayton

David R. Slayton grew up in Guthrie, Oklahoma, where finding fantasy novels was pretty challenging and finding fantasy novels with diverse characters was downright impossible. Now he lives in Denver, Colorado and writes the books he always wanted to read. His debut, White Trash Warlock, was published in October 2020 by Blackstone Publishing.

Slayton's latest novel is Trailer Park Trickster, the sequel to White Trash Warlock.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Slayton's reply:
The pandemic has me reading a lot of comfort reads. I’ve been revisiting Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate and Terry Pratchett’s books, especially the ones with Granny Weatherwax like Witches Abroad. It’s not all light stuff though.

Tough times make me crave escape, and great characters are especially welcome. I’ve been diving into C.S. Poe’s Magic and Steam series and Gregory Ashe’s gritty detective novels. They’ve been collaborating lately and I recommend A Friend in the Dark. They do such an amazing job of making New York feel like a character.

I’m also craving more urban fantasy in the vein of K.D. Edwards’ Tarot Sequence. Thankfully the third book, The Hourglass Throne, is due out soon! He does a masterful job of mixing wit and action with a bit more edge than my stuff.

When I’m writing I try to read nonfiction to keep learning new things while avoiding the influence of other authors’ voices so I’ve been working my way through Caitlin Doughty’s books on audio. I’m almost finished with From Here to Eternity and it’s been comforting to ponder our society’s relationship with dying and questioning my own feelings and fears around it.
Visit David R. Slayton's website.

My Book, The Movie: Trailer Park Trickster.

The Page 69 Test: Trailer Park Trickster.

--Marshal Zeringue