Sunday, May 1, 2022

Sandra Dallas

New York Times best-selling author Sandra Dallas, the author of 16 adult novels, four young reader novels, and 10 nonfiction books, was dubbed “a quintessential American voice” by Jane Smiley, in Vogue Magazine. Dallas’s novels with their themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity have been translated into a dozen foreign languages and have been optioned for films.

Her new novel is Little Souls.

Recently I asked Dallas about what she was reading. Her reply:
I review books for the Denver Post, and a few weeks back, I received an advance copy of Everybody Thought We Were Crazy by Mark Rozzo. It’s the story of Dennis Hopper and Brooke Howard’s marriage and 1960s Los Angeles. I loved it. Publication date is May. The love story is set against a background of pop art, rock and roll, drugs, and the new Hollywood. The couple knew everybody from the Fondas to the Black Panthers. I became a Dennis Hopper fan when I saw him in an early television performance in the 1950s. I think it was on The Medic. After Hopper’s marriage to Brooke broke up, I interviewed him when he was living in the Mabel Dodge Luhan house in Taos with his soon-to-be wife Michelle Phillips. The house was filled with pop art, which wasn’t all that popular in Taos at the time. A story I heard was that a man came to install a telephone and asked where to put it. Dennis was absorbed with something and pointed to a wall. The man installed the phone in the middle of an Andy Warhol painting.
Visit Sandra Dallas's website and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue