Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Ally Malinenko

Ally Malinenko is the author of Ghost Girl and This Appearing House.

She lives and writes in Brooklyn.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Malinenko's reply:
I’m currently reading Kelly Barnhill’s The Witch's Boy which I am loving. She has such an incredible talent for crafting what feels like a grounded dark fairy tale. I’m currently working on a witch book and Kelly’s is really keeping me excited about the project.

It’s the story of Ned, the titular Witch’s Boy. When his twin dies in an accident at the start of the book the villagers all think the “wrong boy lived.” His mother, Sister Witch, responsible for saving the Queen, is called away. When Ned learns how to wield her magic and gets kidnapped by bandits, it is only through the help of Aine, the Bandit King’s daughter, that they can stop a coming war.

I am also reading Thomas Olde Heuvelt’s Echo which is utterly terrifying. I’m only 100 pages in but the opening chapter had my heart racing by page 11. It’s the story about a man named Nick who is involved in a mountaineering accident. His climbing partner is dead and when he wakes in the ambulance his face wrapped in bandages, he claims amnesia. But he does remember what called them to that
particular mountain and everything that happened there.

It is absolutely chilling and now I'm afraid of the woods! I cannot wait to read his other one, Hex.
Visit Ally Malinenko's website.

Q&A with Ally Malinenko.

The Page 69 Test: This Appearing House.

--Marshal Zeringue