Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Mary Miley

Mary Miley grew up in New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Virginia, and worked her way through the College of William and Mary in Virginia as a costumed tour guide at Colonial Williamsburg. As Mary Miley Theobald, she has published numerous nonfiction books and articles on history, travel and business topics. As Mary Miley, she is the author of the award-winning Roaring Twenties mystery series.

Miley's new novel is Deadly Spirits, her third Mystic's Accomplice mystery.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I write mysteries, I read mysteries. While my preference is for historicals, I am very glad to come to the present day with a series I’ve stumbled on, written by Martin Walker and set in France’s beautiful southwest Dordogne region: the Bruno, Chief of Police series. I have spent time in the Dordogne over the past five decades and am thrilled with Mr. Walker’s spot-on portrayal of the people, customs, and places there, not to mention his cleverly plotted mysteries. Each one focuses on a particular specialty of the region: wine, cave paintings, truffles, and so forth. And Bruno (the sole policeman for a small fictional town) is a fascinatingly realistic character, trying to balance his duty to protect his townspeople while skirting the EU regulations or the "letter of the law" that hinder their success. I’ve read the first three and loved each one. Thankfully, there seem to be 15 so far in the series, so I have a lot of reading pleasure ahead.
Visit Mary Miley's website, blog, and Facebook page.

The Page 69 Test: Deadly Spirits.

--Marshal Zeringue