Saturday, May 20, 2023

Tanis Rideout

Tanis Rideout’s internationally acclaimed first novel, Above All Things, was a national bestseller, named to numerous best books of the year lists, and published in several languages around the world. It was awarded the Premio ITAS del Libro di Montagna and was longlisted for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. Her new novel is The Sea Between Two Shores. She is also the author of the poetry collection Arguments with the Lake, and, in 2006, she was named the “Poet Laureate for Lake Ontario” by the environmental advocacy group Lake Ontario Waterkeeper. Born in Belgium, she grew up in Bermuda and in Kingston, Ontario, and now lives in Los Angeles.

Recently I asked Rideout about what she was reading. Her reply:
I tend to have a number of books on the go at any one time. Generally speaking there is a novel, a poetry collection, a research book or two, something visual and a cookbook all piled around me at any one time.

Here’s what’s on the go at the moment:

I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai – I got this as a birthday gift from another writer, and am so far loving the prep school setting, the narrator, the questions the book is asking. I’ve been trying to read a lot for plot recently and this one is definitely meeting that mark.

Goldenrod by Maggie Smith – Poetry makes me slow down. I start my mornings with poems, trying to read one or two in those early moments before the coffee kicks in. Smith’s poems often focus on the small extraordinariness of the everyday. It makes me long to gaze out the window, to revel in the small shape of a leaf, the colour of its green.

A couple of research things: Slenderman by Kathleen Hale; and Abortion Rites by Marvin Olasky. I read pretty widely for research. I had a writing mentor when I did my MFA tell me that there is a point in the writing process where you start to read everything through the lens of your work. There’s something magical about finally reaching that point. Slenderman is about a horrific crime and Abortion Rites is about the history of abortion in America. I’ve picked them up for specific reasons but am also hoping to be surprised by them.

Tenements, Towers and Trash – an Unconventional Illustrated History of New York City by Julia Wertz – I started learning how to sketch recently and as result, I’ve become particularly interested in books that have drawings of buildings, everyday objects and cityscapes. This book has all of that and more.

Pizza – The Ultimate Cookbook by Barbara Caracciolo – I’ve gotten really into pizza and this book offers pizza and focaccia recipes from all across Italy – detailing differences, and preferences. The dough has yet to let me down and the Pizza Bianca recipe is fantastic.
Visit Tanis Rideout's website.

My Book, The Movie: Above All Things.

--Marshal Zeringue