Monday, July 17, 2023

Susan Furlong

Susan Furlong is the author of several mysteries including What They Don't Know and Shattered Justice, a New York Times Best Crime Novel of the Year. She also contributes, under a pen name, to the New York Times bestselling Novel Idea series.

Her twelfth novel, The Killer's Wife, is now available. She resides in Illinois with her husband and children.

Recently I asked Furlong about what she was reading. Her reply:
Thanks to a recent visit to my local used bookstore, I’ve added a few new books to my reading pile, including several by a new-to-me author—Julia Keller. I’m half-way through A Killing in the Hills which is the first in her series about Belle Elkins, a single mom and public prosecutor. The writing is powerful, and the author provides a realistic glimpse into some of the issues faced in the poorer regions of Appalachia. But what draws me to this book is Keller’s character development, not only of the main protagonist, who is flawed and relatable, but several lesser characters including a mentally challenged young man accused of a brutal murder. So far, I’m hooked and looking forward to the rest in the series.

I like to keep a copy of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine in my bag for those times I’m stuck waiting in line or for an appointment. I just finished the May/June issue. All the stories were good, but I was especially happy to see the short mystery “The Incurious Man” featuring Terence Faherty’s protagonist Owen Keane. It’s been a while since I’ve read Faherty’s novels with the same protagonist, my favorites being Deadstick and its prequel The Lost Keats. Finding this short story was like a surprise visit with an old friend.

I’ve also been reading Betty Smith’s A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the second, maybe third time. It’s a beautifully written coming of age story about a young woman in the late 1900s, and a slow, steady read with a narrative that is both heartbreaking and uplifting. If I had to describe the story with one word, it would be “honest” and maybe that’s what keeps bringing me back. Whatever it is, if books were comfort food, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn would be my homemade mac and cheese.
Visit Susan Furlong's website.

My Book, The Movie: Splintered Silence.

The Page 69 Test: Splintered Silence.

Q&A with Susan Furlong.

--Marshal Zeringue