Friday, March 1, 2024

Wendy Church

Wendy Church is the author of the Jesse O’Hara and Shadows of Chicago Mysteries series. The first book in the Jesse O’Hara series, Murder on the Spanish Seas, was named one of Booklist’s Top Ten Debut Mystery/Thriller novels of 2023, and received a starred review.

Church's newest books are Murder Beyond the Pale, the second Jesse O’Hara mystery, and Knife Skills, the first Shadows of Chicago mystery.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Church's reply:
When I'm in the middle of a project I limit my reading to primarily nonfiction (as part of book research), and these days it seems like I'm constantly in the middle of a project! But I always make time for the latest from Val McDermid, and am very excited to finally get my copy of Past Lying, the latest Karen Pirie novel. For some reason I've gravitated towards more UK and Irish crime fiction over the last few years, and also try to make time for Dervla McTiernan's Comac Reilly books, or Brian McGilloway's Lucy Black series. Anyone who's read my books knows I'm not heavy with description, but these authors have such a great command of the language, and manage to keep the pacing up even as they work wonders with verbal illustration, it inspires me to do better in that regard.
Visit Wendy Church's website.

The Page 69 Test: Murder on the Spanish Seas.

Q&A with Wendy Church.

My Book, The Movie: Murder on the Spanish Seas.

The Page 69 Test: Murder Beyond the Pale.

--Marshal Zeringue