Thursday, September 19, 2024

James Markert

J. H. Markert, the author of The Nightmare Man, Mister Lullaby, and Sleep Tight, is the pen name for writer James Markert, an award-winning novelist of historical fiction. Markert is a produced screenwriter, husband, and father of two from Louisville, Kentucky, where he was also a tennis pro for 25 years, before hanging up the racquets for good in 2020. He graduated with a degree in History from the University of Louisville in 1997 and has been writing ever since. With a total of 10 published novels under his belt, Markert writes historical fiction under his name and horror/thriller under J.H. Markert. He has recently completed his next historical novel, Ransom Burning, a civil rights era family/crime drama that Markert calls “my best book yet!” He recently finished another horror novel called Dig, and is currently hard at work on his next novel, Spider to the Fly.

Recently I asked Markert about what he was reading. His reply:
This prompt caught me in between books, one author I’m quite familiar with and another I’m admittedly getting a late start on. I just finished Stephen King’s newest collection, You Like It Darker (yes I do, thank you very much), and thought it was vintage King, the reason I ever started writing in the first place. But onward now to a novel I’ve been wanting to read since finishing the mind-blowing The Cabin at the End of the World, and that is A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. I can already tell, twenty pages in, that it just might creep me out, but in the best of ways!
Visit J.H. Markert's website.

Q&A with J. H. Markert.

My Book, The Movie: The Nightmare Man.

The Page 69 Test: The Nightmare Man.

My Book, The Movie: Sleep Tight.

The Page 69 Test: Sleep Tight.

--Marshal Zeringue