Sara Cooper is a novelist and an award-winning playwright-lyricist. She lives in New York with her husband John and their son Theo. Major awards include Richard Rodgers Award, American Academy of Arts and Letters (2022); ASCAP Foundation Lucille and Jack Yellen Award (2021); Grand Jury Prize, Barnstorm Media (2020); Jonathan Larson Grant, American Theatre Wing (2014).
Ravenous, her debut novel, was a Finalist for the 2025 Tucson Festival of Books Literary Awards.
Recently I asked Cooper about what she was reading. Her reply:
I'm currently reading Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi. It's about the horrors of war made literal. I am absolutely loving it so far. IVisit Sara Cooper's website.had just finished Mrs. Caliban by Rachel Ingalls, which was also excellent, and I was actually planning to take a little reading break, because I was working on rewrites for my new novel and I didn't want to muddy the voice. But I was scrolling through the Horror and Weird Girl Lit corners of Bookstagram (basically the only parts of social media I actually enjoy) and someone mentioned that this book was about a stitched-up corpse that seeks revenge for those killed in the war in Iraq. I have never raced to buy a book so fast. So far, it's fantastic, gorgeously written and completely devastating.
My Book, The Movie: Ravenous.
The Page 69 Test: Ravenous.
--Marshal Zeringue

