Sunday, April 26, 2009

Jill Kargman

Jill Kargman's publications include Momzillas and the newly released The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund.

Last week I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
You know Kathy Bates' character in Misery, the #1 fan? I am that for Woody Allen, but without the kidnapping and hobbling part. I adore his work. No one makes me laugh harder on earth. It sounds super cheese but even though he's a comic genius, his poignant observations have also truly gotten me through rough patches just as much as the guffaw-inducing funny scenes. I have read every words he has ever written and am now immersed in Eric Lax's Conversations With Woody Allen. It is a fascinating look behind the scenes of his films and follows him through 30 years of interviews and adds a whole new dimension of layered insights into his work. It is absolutely incredible. I actually just read Woody Allen's latest New Yorker piece for the humor column Shout & Murmurs, a spoof on two Bernie Madoff investors who die of cardiac arrest and rooftop plummet respectively, who are reincarnated as lobsters in a restaurant tank where the Ponzi prince is dining and wreak Inigo Montoya-style revenge on him. It's classic Woody Allen. It's fascinating to juggle reading his written word with his recorded spoken ones-- he is just as brilliant off the cuff as he is at the type pad. Which makes me worship him all the more.
Visit Jill Kargman's website.

--Marshal Zeringue