Monday, August 22, 2011

Gerry Bartlett

Gerry Bartlett is a former teacher and now writes full time. She also owns an antique business on the historic strand in Galveston, Texas.

The latest installment in her Glory St. Clair Real Vampires series, Real Vampires Don't Wear Size Six, is out now from Berkley.

Recently I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
I recently had the pleasure of taking a trip to England and Scotland. I used it to research a castle for my next vampire novel and to shop for my antiques business in Galveston. What fun! But as the long flight across the Atlantic loomed, I realized my Kindle couldn’t be switched on until we were in the air. Losing myself in a good story helps me forget that the airplane is actually taking off. I’m not a fearless flyer. So I like to have a book handy. You know those nice paper varieties? I’m still addicted to them and my bulging bookshelves are the proof of that. I have to admit, though, an e-reader is ideal for a vacation and I enjoyed it for the two weeks I was on the road.

But back to my story. I was in what the Brits call a “Charity Shop”. I love to hunt in them for treasures and there on the bookshelves was a find. It was a slim book called The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike. I checked the date and was surprised to discover it had come out in 1994. Okay, a very early vamp book and the cover sported a cobra. Interesting. I liked the blurb and paid 49 pence. A bargain. Now as an author you’d think I’d hate used books. Not so. I have no problem with readers finding me in a Half Price Books or Paperback Trader. Because usually I’ll hear from them later that it got them started on my series and they now buy me new. Pike got me hooked with my 49p purchase. I loved the book. Couldn’t put it down. Not even when it was okay to turn on that Kindle after we reached cruising altitude.

The first person narrator is the world’s last vampire and she’s over 5000 years old. I loved her attitude, her history and the emotion in the story. I found myself taking mental notes of ideas I wanted to steal from Pike for my own stories. The first three in this series have been reissued as Thirst 1. Yes, I bought the book. In paper. Because it’s not available for Kindle. Too bad. But Pike is worth adding to my clutter. I found the book in the young adult section but the books don’t read as obviously for teens. I was happy to see a good selection of his books at my local B&N and well placed. Obviously Pike has found his audience. The Thirst series isn’t his only paranormal series.

What I love most about Pike? I never for a moment felt that the book was dated. I didn’t miss a cell phone, didn’t catch an anachronism. Yes, this was the original mid-nineties edition. Good job, Pike. I’d love to think my books could stand the test of time as well.
Visit Gerry Bartlet's website and blog.

See--Coffee with a Canine: Gerry Bartlett & Jet.

The Page 69 Test: Real Vampires Have More to Love.

Writers Read: Gerry Bartlett (December 2010).

My Book, The Movie: Real Vampires Have More to Love.

--Marshal Zeringue