Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Doug Magee

Doug Magee has been a photojournalist, screenplay writer, children's book author, death penalty activist, film producer and director, war protestor, college football player, amateur musician, and the basis of the Aidan Quinn character in Meryl Streep's Music of the Heart.

His new novel is Darkness All Around.

Earlier this month I asked Magee what he was reading. His reply:
I'm gearing up to write the first book of a series and so I've been reading some of the masters to get inspired. Lately I've caught up with some of the Spenser novels I had missed. A Catskill Eagle, was good but not Robert B. Parker at his best. It did make me eager to read Looking For Rachel Wallace, which I'm having trouble finding because it's out of print. I just finished Chandler's Lady of the Lake and immediately decided to quit being a writer! He's the best.

In an entirely different vein I spent a month reading The Iliad with my sixteen year-old son. He had to do it for school and I went along for the ride. We read the Robert Fagles translation and both of us were both floored by the poetry and amazed by the way in which this ancient epic is so contemporary.
Visit Doug Magee's website and the Darkness All Around website.

Writers Read: Doug Magee (June 2010).

--Marshal Zeringue