Monday, October 24, 2011

Todd Ritter

Todd Ritter is the author of Bad Moon, his second mystery featuring small-town police chief Kat Campbell. Born and raised in rural Pennsylvania, he now lives in suburban New Jersey.

Recently I asked him what he was reading. His reply:
When it comes to books, I’m not usually a double-dipper. I wait until I finish one to start another. Yet there are two books out right now that I so desperately wanted to begin that I couldn’t choose which one to start first. So I’m reading both of them — and loving it.

The first is Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean. I love dogs. I love Hollywood. So the story of this dog (and his many, many offspring) who became a movie star is right up my alley. Then there’s the little fact that Susan Orlean is one of the most accessible, sensible and funny nonfiction voices out there.

The second book, far different than the story of a celebrity dog, is The Stranger You Seek by Amanda Kyle Williams. I was drawn to this one because of its heroine, Keye Street. She’s an ex-FBI profiler with a troubled past who hunts down a serial killer with her best friend, a male cop. The heroine of my book, Bad Moon, is Kat Campbell, a female cop who hunts down a serial killer with her best friend, a male former state police detective with a troubled past. We’re like two sides to the same coin, which is fascinating to read. It doesn’t hurt that Williams can write with the best of them.
Visit Todd Ritter's website.

Writers Read: Todd Ritter (October 2010).

The Page 69 Test: Todd Ritter's Death Notice.

My Book, The Movie: Death Notice.

--Marshal Zeringue