Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ed Kovacs

Ed Kovacs has worked for many years as a private security contractor deploying to challenging locations worldwide. He is a member of AFIO, Association for Intelligence Officers, the International Thriller Writers organization, and the Mystery Writers of America.

His new novel is Storm Damage.

Last month I asked Kovacs what he was reading. His reply:
I am trying to read The Kite Runner. I say trying because I’m currently working 13.5 hours a day, six days as week as a private security contractor in Central Asia, and my main concern in my free time is to get some writing done and catch more sleep. The whole team here is pretty tired. So I’m reading just a few pages as I can.

It must be a story of redemption because I really don’t care for the protagonist! Our hero is growing up rich, pampered, privileged, and sniveling in pre-Taliban, pre-Soviet invasion Afghanistan, and Kabul is portrayed as almost idyllic (as long as you’re rich). A good set-up, no doubt, for some tough life lessons to come.

I was attracted to the story since I’m working in “the Neighborhood” and since there are almost no English language books available where I’m quartered; another guy was rotating back to the States and he gave me the book, saying it was good. I’m sure he’s right, but it’s too soon to be definitive.
Visit Ed Kovacs's website.

My Book, The Movie: Storm Damage.

The Page 69 Test: Storm Damage.

--Marshal Zeringue