Friday, December 2, 2011

Marie Lu

Marie Lu is the art director at Online Alchemy, a video game company, and also owns the business and brand Fuzz Academy.

Her new novel is Legend.

A couple of weeks ago I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Now, this is a book that has been recommended to me by no less than a dozen people on various occasions, but I kept putting it off simply because of its size. (I know, I know. And this coming from a fantasy fan! I'm ashamed of myself...) Finally I decided that I needed to sit down and read it--and I'm kicking myself for having waited so long. The book is utterly fantastic. It's rare to find such in-depth worldbuilding even in fantasy, and Rothfuss does it like no one else--folklore, folk songs, a beautifully intricate magic system, a currency system that actually made me *feel* its worth, an unconventional storytelling style (that switches from third-person to a first-person autobiographical narration), grit and humor and sadness.... I could go on forever. Quite frankly, The Name of the Wind is one of those books that both makes me despair (that I could ever write something this good) and feel inspired (to attempt to write something this good). You can bet that I have started The Wise Man's Fear (the sequel)!
Visit Marie Lu's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue