Thursday, April 26, 2012

Augusta Scattergood

Augusta Scattergood is a former librarian turned book reviewer turned middle-grade author. Originally from Cleveland, Mississippi, she now lives in St. Petersburg, Florida and Madison, NJ.

Glory Be, her first book, is now out from Scholastic.

Earlier this month I asked the author what she was reading.  Her reply:
I'm most excited because today's mail brought an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy) of one of my favorite author's newest middle-grade novel. On the Road to Mr. Mineo's by Barbara O'Connor has a great cover. A one-legged pigeon! Can't wait to begin. It just went to the top of my large stack.

I'm also reading a review copy of Ace Atkins' The Lost Ones. He's a fellow Mississippi writer and I'm reviewing it for Delta Magazine (based in the Mississippi Delta). Face-paced detective novel. Great setting, love the complicated characters.

May B., by Caroline Starr Rose. I'm about to interview her on my blog so I'm actually re-reading this. Middle-grade historical fiction set on the prairie, a novel-in-verse. Perfect for April, Poetry Month.

Old Filth by Jane Gardam. I finally read it! Even after hearing so much about the novel, I was resistant somehow. I wonder if it was that title. (The acronym for Failed in London Try Hong Kong.) It couldn't be that it's British because I adore British humor. As it turns out, this may be one of my favorite books of recent reading. I have it on my nightstand to reread, or at least to refer to when I read the companion book.

Writing Yoga: A Guide to Keeping a Practice by Bruce Black. I've just started this and I'm underlining a lot. Too soon to tell if I'll follow his advice forever, but I like that he gives his readers permission to keep a journal, yet never have to read it again. I do love yoga. I'm not that great at journaling…
Visit Augusta Scattergood's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue