Tuesday, April 24, 2012

J.T. Ellison

J.T. Ellison is the international award-winning author of eight critically acclaimed novels and multiple short stories.

Her latest novel is A Deeper Darkness, the first featuring medical examiner Samantha Owens.

A couple of weeks ago I asked Ellison what she was reading.  Her reply:
I’m reading two fantastic, and very different novels right now. The first is Game of Thrones: A song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin, the epic fantasy series that is currently enjoying a smashing run on HBO. I watched the first season of Game of Thrones and was mesmerized, then a friend told me I needed to read the books. He warned of the graphic violence and the way women are used as everything from chattel to a path to the throne, but that didn’t sway me. I’ve often found that the women in these stories are clever and conniving and stronger than first blush indicates. But I turned my Dad onto them first, and he spent a month in his chair, engrossed. I’m so glad we can finally talk about the stories, and last night, I turned him on to Game of Thrones on TV. He agrees it is exemplary.

The second novel I’m reading is Harlan Coben’s latest, Stay Close. It took a single line, the very first, to get me invested. Coben is the master of the genre, at the top of his game with both plot and character, and aside from the creepy nightmares I’ve been having, I am hooked. I love it when I’m disappointed to set a book down – that’s how I feel with both these titles.
Visit J.T. Ellison's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: A Deeper Darkness.

--Marshal Zeringue