Monday, February 9, 2015

Peter Swanson

Peter Swanson is the author of two novels, The Girl with a Clock for a Heart, and The Kind Worth Killing, available from William Morrow in the United States and Faber & Faber in the United Kingdom. His poems, stories and reviews have appeared in such journals as The Atlantic, Asimov’s Science Fiction, Epoch, Measure, Notre Dame Review, Soundings East, and The Vocabula Review. He has won awards in poetry from The Lyric and Yankee Magazine, and is currently completing a sonnet sequence on all 53 of Alfred Hitchcock’s films. He lives with his wife and cat in Somerville, Massachusetts.

Recently I asked Swanson about what he was reading. His reply:
I am currently reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I am partly reading it because I've heard such good things about it, but also because I will be doing a reading with Paula Hawkins in England in February, and I always try to read the book of an author I'm speaking with. So far, the book is gripping, pulling you into the world of two very unreliable narrators. Can't wait to find out what happens next.

The book I just finished is Deep Water by Patricia Highsmith. It is one of her best, the story of a dysfunctional marriage that quickly turns murderous. Highsmith was the absolute best at painting portraits of everyday sociopaths, and Vic Van Allen, the protagonist in this novel, is absolutely chilling.
Visit Peter Swanson's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

My Book, The Movie: The Kind Worth Killing.

The Page 69 Test: The Kind Worth Killing.

--Marshal Zeringue