Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Douglas Corleone

Douglas Corleone is the author of contemporary crime novels and international thrillers. His debut novel One Man's Paradise was a finalist for the 2010 Shamus Award for Best First Novel and won the 2009 Minotaur Books / Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Award.

Corleone’s highly acclaimed international thriller Good As Gone introduced former U.S. Marshal Simon Fisk, and was followed by Payoff, which Booklist called “a lean, mean, pedal-to-the-metal thriller.” Corleone's new novel, Gone Cold, is the third Simon Fisk novel.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
A food jag is when a child will only eat one item, meal after meal. I sometimes go through periods like that with authors. When I first discovered Lee Child, I’d read nothing but Reacher novels for months at a time. If I fall behind on prolific authors such as Stephen King, I do the same. My current author jag is Harlan Coben. I originally picked him up because I was feeling nostalgic for my home state of New Jersey. But once Coben sinks his hooks into you, it’s incredibly difficult to break way.

Over the past few weeks I’ve read a number of his standalones, including The Innocent, Hold Tight, The Woods, Six Years, and Caught. I’m presently reading No Second Chance, which may be my favorite of the bunch. For me, Coben’s tales of suburban nightmares are refreshing, particularly now after having spent much of the past few years writing international thrillers like Payoff, Gone Cold, and Robert Ludlum’s The Janson Equation. That Coben can set pulse-pounding suspense in the towns in which I grew up says a lot for his talent. His characters are vivid, his dialogue crisp, his descriptions spare yet cinematic – Harlan Coben’s standalone thrillers are the whole package, and for writers like myself, they teach as much as they entertain.
Learn more about the book and author at Douglas Corleone's website.

The Page 69 Test: Good as Gone.

My Book, The Movie: Payoff.

The Page 69 Test: Gone Cold.

My Book, The Movie: Gone Cold.

--Marshal Zeringue