Monday, August 3, 2015

Frankie Y. Bailey

Frankie Y. Bailey, a professor in the School of Criminal Justice, University at Albany (SUNY), is the author of mysteries as well as non-fiction titles that explore the intersections of crime, history, and popular culture. She is a Macavity Award-winner and has been nominated for Edgar, Anthony, and Agatha awards.

Her latest novel is What the Fly Saw, the second Detective Hannah McCabe mystery.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Bailey's reply:
I’d like to say I’m reading a literary classic or a terrific mystery. But the truth is my fiction reading is on hold until I can get away on vacation later this summer. Until then I’m going to focus on reading related to a non-fiction book I’m writing about clothing and crime. On my desk right now: The Politics of Fashion in Eighteenth Century America by Kate Haulman and Sensory Worlds in Early America by Peter Charles Hoffer. I’m also working on a historical thriller set in 1939. I’m reading about the New York City World’s Fair and the royal visit and the premier of Gone with the Wind in Atlanta. Luckily, I happen to love doing research.

Actually, I did read a few chapters of a mystery the other day. A friend gave me a copy of The Man Who Shot Lewis Vance, one of the book in Stuart Kaminsky’s Toby Peters series. For those who don’t know the series, Toby is a lovable private detective in 1940s Hollywood. In this one – as you might have guessed from the title -- Toby meets “the Duke” himself, actor John Wayne. That’s not a typo in the title. The con man, soon to be corpse, who brings them together is name “Lewis” (not “Liberty”) Vance.
Visit Frankie Y. Bailey's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

The Page 69 Test: What the Fly Saw.

My Book, The Movie: What the Fly Saw.

--Marshal Zeringue