Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Sharon Huss Roat

Sharon Huss Roat grew up in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and now lives in Delaware with her husband (who makes fonts), her son (who makes music), and her daughter (who makes believe!). She worked in public relations for twenty years before deciding what she really wanted to be when she grew up. Between the Notes is her debut novel. When she's not writing (or reading) books for young adults, you might find her planting vegetables in her backyard garden or sewing costumes for a school musical.

Recently I asked Roat about what she was reading. Her reply:
Almost all of my reading material over the past year has come in the form of Advance Reader Copies from other 2015 debut YA authors who are fellow members of the Fearless Fifteeners. The two in my hands right now are by authors I will be appearing with at book events this fall, so I’ve been very anxious to read their books. I also was intrigued by these two titles because they are very different from my own, and I find it better to be reading something that is not too similar to what I am currently writing.

First is The Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman, which I just finished reading this morning. And whoa, it was good. The story is told from four different points of view, three of which are in the present and one in the past. Sounds complicated and hard to follow, but it wasn’t. Kudos to Maggie for pulling that off, and weaving a fascinating magical element through it all—the work of the hekamists, who can cast spells. The chain of events caused by the spells and the four different perspectives are intertwined so seamlessly. I loved it. If I ever try writing from multiple perspectives, I’ll be looking back at this novel for a great example of how to make it work.

Next up is Blood and Salt by Kim Liggett. I haven’t read a scary book in a very long time, and I am both dying to read this one and terrified at the same time! This line from the book jacket is so deliciously frightening: “…something sinister and ancient waits among the rustling cornstalks of this village lost to time.” Ahhhh! There’s "unrequited love and murder, alchemy and immortality.” I haven’t read anything like this in… ever. I can’t wait to dig into it.
Visit Sharon Huss Roat's website.

The Page 69 Test: Between the Notes.

--Marshal Zeringue