Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Stephen L. Moore

Stephen L. Moore, a sixth-generation Texan, graduated from Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, where he studied advertising, marketing, and journalism. He is the author of multiple books on World War II and Texas history, including Pacific Payback: The Carrier Fly Boys Who Avenged Pearl Harbor at the Battle of Midway and Taming Texas, a biography of his great-great-great grandfather William T. Sadler, who was one of the first Texas Ranger captains in the 1830s.

His new book is The Battle for Hell’s Island: How a Small Band of Carrier Dive-Bombers Helped Save Guadalcanal.

Recently I asked him about what he was reading. Moore's reply:
More often than not, I read books related to subjects that I am currently studying or have ongoing interest in.

I’m currently reading William H. Bartsch’s Victory Fever on Guadalcanal. His liberal use of first-person accounts, both Japanese and American, bring refreshing new detail to one of the most vicious fights endured by U.S. Marines in the Pacific War, the Battle of Tenaru. I really appreciate such books that blend fast-paced reading with accurate details—due to this author’s ability to dig deep into both eyewitness and official records.

Recently, I read Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides. Although it has been out for a while, it is a remarkable story of one of the greatest rescue missions of World War II. It also of great interest to me since a small part of it touches on one of my upcoming projects.
Visit Stephen L. Moore's website.

--Marshal Zeringue