Thursday, March 24, 2016

Kathi Appelt

Kathi Appelt is the author of the Newbery Honoree, National Book Award finalist, PEN USA Literary Award–winning, and bestselling The Underneath as well as the National Book Award finalist The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp, Keeper, and many picture books including Counting Crows. Her latest novel, co-wriiten with Alison McGhee, is Maybe a Fox.

Recently I asked Appelt about what she was reading. Her reply:
I recently blew through The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles, by Steven Pressfield. I say “blew through” because it’s a quick read. However, my intention is to re-read it in a more deliberative way.

This book was recommended to me by my sister Patti who is a painter. We recently lost our mother, and ever since I’ve had a difficult time facing my work. I’ve had to figure out who I am again, as a person, and how I fit into the world in this new way.

So, here is Steven Pressfield’s book. He takes a very unsentimental approach to getting your work done, and in some ways he’s basically telling the reader, “Hey, get off your duff and get busy.”

I needed to hear that, to be reminded that what is most important is to simply show up. It’s not rocket science.

But I also needed to hear about the angels.

So, thank you Steven Pressfield. You came along at just the right moment.
Visit Kathi Appelt's website.

The Page 69 Test: Maybe a Fox.

--Marshal Zeringue