Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Annie Donwerth-Chikamatsu

Annie Donwerth-Chikamatsu is the author of Somewhere Among.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I haven’t been reading much lately but when I do it’s usually picture books, middle grade novels, short stories and poetry.

I love the poetry of Naomi Shihab Nye and listen to her readings online. I find her voice, especially, comforting. She was here in Japan visiting international schools a couple of months ago and our SCBWI chapter advisor invited us to a reading and dinner afterwards. I rushed to get her 2014 middle grade novel, The Turtle of Oman, sent to my house to have for her to sign but it didn’t make it in time. I read it later and loved the details, the story, and the voice, especially. I am hoping our paths cross again. I’ll have more books for her to sign!

Now, again for the second time, I am making my way through Patricia Donegan’s haiku mind 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness & Open Your Heart. I found it in Pegasus Books on Shattuck in Berkeley in 2013. I am reading a haiku or two each day along with her commentary. It’s a very restful and mindful experience. A good way to start or end the day.

I just finished writing a middle grade novel about finding peace in your heart so it’s on my mind and on my reading list!
Visit Annie Donwerth-Chikamatsu's website.

--Marshal Zeringue